Monday, August 11, 2008

I went to Portland on Saturday...

...but, it wasn't much fun. I was recruited to chauffeur a friend and her mother who aren't comfortable with freeway driving who had some business to conduct in the Sellwood neighborhood. We ate at Denny's and McDonald's and the only other place we went to was Powell's City of Books...In theory, Powell's sounds great for a book lover, with that huge selection spread over a city block, but the reality is that it's just too fucking big and crowded with inane tourists mostly interested in browsing at cat books and Family Circus compilations and generally getting in your way. I did find some books I wanted, but frustrated by the crowds and long lines, I put the books back and fled...I only had enough time in Portland to once again admire their intelligent city planning and mass transit system and sadly compare it to Seattle's inadequate planning and design...

No comments: