Friday, February 6, 2009

Art I Like




I haven't posted any thing in this category for a long time and I'm feeling arty today so here are a couple pieces by artist Linnea Strid. I found them at Juxtapoz and you can check out more of Strid's work there, (http://www.juxtapoz.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5360&Itemid=59) or at her website: (http://www.linneastrid.se/index.html)which is in Swedish but art websites are pretty self-explanatory.

I like her stuff because it tells a story, or at least it offers a small vignette from a much larger narrative. Is the birthday guy alone because he seems a bit weird, or has his loneliness contributed to his seemingly odd lifestyle? Why does the boy have blood on his hands? Was he a witness, or a good samaritan trying to help a victim, or did he have something sinister to do with the incident that caused the blood to be spilt? I don't know the answer to any of these questions but I like thinking about what led up to the moments depicted in the paintings. And, I always think it's a good idea for an artist to create work that leaves you wanting just a bit more...like any good book or movie or piece of music.

As for Bush and Hitler, I just think it's funny in a dry Scandinavian sense of humor way, like some of Bergman's movies, or at least, moments in some of his movies.

Which reminds me, I'm past due for my semi-annual viewing of Fanny & Alexander...I usually try to watch it around Christmas, but I never got around to it. I'm way overdue.

No comments: