Friday, March 7, 2008

For the inner comic book nerd in everyone...pix from the upcoming Watchmen movie


from the website: http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/

Zack Snyder who directed the enjoyable but ludicrous "300" is directing this long awaited adaption of the Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons graphic novel masterpiece. I'm not really a comic book nerd, but "Watchmen" IS a great story, which has been heavily mined for subsequent works, especially "Heroes". Judging by these pictures, the set design is on target; they've really captured the grungy look of the alternate NYC in the novel. I was afraid they'd try to pretty it up.



The costumes bother me a little bit; they're too defined and clean looking in my opinion, but I'm happy that they went with actors that aren't huge stars: Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach, Patrick Wilson as Nite Owl, Billy Crudup as Dr Manhattan, Matthew Goode as Ozymandias and Malin Akerman as Silk Spectre.


I've pretty much stopped going to see big, dumb, Hollywood popcorn movies but this is definitely one I want to see...but, I'm going to have to wait a year. Warner Brothers has set a release date for March of NEXT year, which seems like a strange time to release a big, sci-fi, comic book movie that's HUGELY anticipated from the fanboy world. It seems like your typical big summer time movie, but maybe Warner Brothers is nervous that "Watchmen" is kind of a cult thing and doesn't have mass market recognition. I can see their point, but EVERY comic book nerd, big and small, is looking forward to this movie. Regardless when it opens, it will have a huge opening weekend and unless it majorly sucks, it seems poised to make some major money...

No comments: